Many brands use Instagram Ads as a way to drive engagement, traffic, and ultimately sales. Chatdesk enables your Superfans to quickly respond to comments on your Instagram Ads and drive conversion on those pre-sale questions.
How the Instagram API works
- Comments on organic posts – Instagram sends our system a real-time notification every time there’s a new comment
- Comments on ad posts – Instagram does not send our system a notification for new Ads or Ad comments so we have to make a special request to get them
How the Chatdesk platform pulls in comments on Instagram Ad Posts
- There can be thousands of versions of each Instagram Ad. One ad can have the same picture and caption but a different link for a given audience, as described in their documentation:
Ads can have multiple versions, which means the ad uses one of our dynamic products, where advertisers provide a combination of images, text and platform-specific preferences so our system can automatically create the right combination for the audience.
- Every hour, for existing active ads that have comments, we query each version to check for new comments
- Every few hours, for existing active ads that do not have comments, we query each version to check if there are any comments
Due to some limitations of the Instagram Marketing API:
- There is a rate limit for how often and how many times we can query Instagram, as described in their documentation:
A rate limit is the number of API calls an app or user can make within a given time period. If this limit is exceeded or if CPU or total time limits are exceeded, the app or user will be throttled and API requests will fail. All API requests are subject to rate limits.
- It can take up to 12 hours to synchronize new ads
- Instagram DMs as well as comments on IGTV and Reels are not supported in Instagram's API and cannot be pulled into the Chatdesk platform as of now
We’ve designed and updated our algorithm to be more efficient based on these limitations.
If you want to find out how to route your Instagram Ad comments to your Superfans with Chatdesk Teams, please visit here.